Bearing noise - please confirm

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Bearing noise - please confirm

Message  RU_r0k1e le Ven 14 Aoû - 16:28

Hello forum,

Please help to localize the problem. Recently I noted a new noise - in sync with revs, doesn't react to clutch engage/disengae or gearing. Sounds like a bearing is dying but I don't know which one. I hope that's the small-end, which is easy to replace. Please check out the video here: https://youtu.be/QcDOF0szJto
It could be heared best on mid-range revs, just after throttle close.

There's a separate clicking noise on idling (beginning of the video) but I assume that's ok (exhaust valves?) - it was there since I've bought the bike... According to previous owner the engine was rebuilt last year including bottom end bearings and piston kit. Roughly 100-120 hours passed since then, so I guess it's about time for another top end rebuild.

RU_r0k1e

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Bearing noise - please confirm

Message  LOUIS-CRM le Ven 14 Aoû - 16:37

it's bearing (rolling), rotor side
You need to separate the two parts of the engine
Maybe the engine is not rebuilt in this part

Message  crm29 le Ven 14 Aoû - 16:44

something wrong in the bottom engine.....you should open the right cover clutch and look on the kick starter mecanism maybe....

crm33 a écrit:Bon crm29 à encore raison

sly42 a écrit:
avec crm 29 c'est court clair net et precis !!!!  Very Happy  Very Happy

Cool Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool
crm29
Admin
Admin

Message  RU_r0k1e le Ven 14 Aoû - 16:58

That's bad Crying or Very sad Indeed left side noise appears louder on video. Should I open left cover and check if it has oil leaking?
I've already checked right side and didn’t find anything suspicious…

RU_r0k1e

Message  crm29 le Ven 14 Aoû - 17:12

open left cover and try to push or dash magnetic wheel.....it must don't have oil behind magnetic will also

sly42 a écrit:

crm29
Admin
Admin

Message  RU_r0k1e le Ven 14 Aoû - 17:29

Thanks guys, will try this weekend.

RU_r0k1e

Message  RU_r0k1e le Lun 17 Aoû - 14:47

I didn't checked left crankcase cover but instead did another extensive noise test and realized that the video was confusing. I might convince myself, but now I’m pretty sure that the noise is coming from cylinder, not the engine. The reason why it was so different between left and right side is much higher noise level coming from exhaust on a right side. So I believe mic was adjusted to the level of exhaust sound and masked the actual bearing noise I would like to capture. In real life the noise is about same from left and right side. Hope that makes sense…

Anyway my thought is that a new piston kit will be needed anyways. Even if I will find out that top end is fine, I can save it for future. Otherwise, if it’s indeed small end bearing I will be able to fix that not waiting for spares…

RU_r0k1e

Message  RU_r0k1e le Lun 17 Aoû - 16:55

Folks, do you have small end bearing catalogue number? I mean not the part number from Honda, but from bearing manufacturer (NTN, INA, SKF, …). It could be found marked on bearing itself. I’m going to search for it from local bearing sellers. Previously I succeeded in ordering wheel and linkage bearings in such way (6203-2RS wheel, HK1215 linkage).

Please also help me to choose a proper piston kit. I can order all original, but it costs more than aftermarket and shipping will take more than 30 days... So decided to check ebay offerings and found following on ebay (I have “C” cylinder):
1. Mitaka “standard bore” kit with bearing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-NSR125-54mm-Bore-Mitaka-Racing-Piston-Kit-Inc-Small-End-Bearing-/301687250624?hash=item463df61ec0
2. Vertex cast piston kit: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/KIT-PISTON-VERTEX-Coule-HONDA-NSR-125-R-NSR125R-2-temps-1990-a-2003-53-96mm-/251112152955?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:FR:1123
- Should be Vertex 21972A
3. Vertex forged piston kit: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/KIT-PISTON-VERTEX-HONDA-CRM125-2T-91-03-53-96MM-REF-9110DA-/171756216532?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:FR:1123
- Vertex 9110DA

Mitaka price is great, it has bearing included, but seems nobody believes the quality is good enough.
For Vertex, I’ve heard that forged pistons are generally better, but 2015 Vertex catalogue doesn’t list 9110DA anymore… Also it says:

Please share other links if you know other options...

RU_r0k1e

Message  LOUIS-CRM le Lun 17 Aoû - 17:37

For your piston, vertex is a good brand.
After for the bearing, take a look here -> click
You have some NSK or SKF references, and maybe the good one for you

Message  RU_r0k1e le Lun 17 Aoû - 19:10

LOUIS-CRM a écrit:After for the bearing, take a look here -> click
You have some NSK or SKF references, and maybe the good one for you
Sorry, but I don't see there small end bearing (91101-KR1-761)...
There's a good NSK dealer close to me with almost all their catalogue items in stock.

RU_r0k1e

Message  RU_r0k1e le Mar 18 Aoû - 9:44

Looks like there's not much choice other than original or NTN:
NSK: nothing close to 16x20x19.X
SKF: nothing close to 16x20x19.X
NTN: KBK16x20x19.8X3
INA: nothing close to 16x20x19.X
Koyo: R16/19.5FP should work?

Anyways, I found original 91101-KR1-761 from local parts reseller who promise to deliver it within 10 days. The price is a bit confusing as it lower than 10 euros... I think I should try...

For those of you who decided to install forged 9110D* Vertex piston: per Bihr catalogue original bearing will not fit and you'll need 16x20x18

RU_r0k1e

Message  RU_r0k1e le Jeu 20 Aoû - 14:16

Checked yesterday cylinder compression and got just a tiny bit lower than 10 kg/cm3 – measured on a cold engine. So now I’m in doubt to change the piston and rings. I’ve ordered small end bearing already (original Honda) and thinking of replacing that part only.

My question now is whether it’s possible to replace small-end bearing without removing cylinder head? Looks like I can remove spark plug, pot, coolant hose and exhaust valve wire cables and don’t necessary have to remove the head. Instead I can remove cylinder and head as a single assembly.

The reason why I’m asking is because I want to save some time and $ on waiting for a new head gasket. The gasket is actually was installed about a month ago so I don’t want it to be wasted. The head was clean at that time...

RU_r0k1e

Message  crm29 le Jeu 20 Aoû - 18:36

RU_r0k1e a écrit:
My question now is whether it’s possible to replace small-end bearing without removing cylinder head? Looks like I can remove spark plug, pot, coolant hose and exhaust valve wire cables and don’t necessary have to remove the head. Instead I can remove cylinder and head as a single assembly.

The reason why I’m asking is because I want to save some time and $ on waiting for a new head gasket. The gasket is actually was installed about a month ago so I don’t want it to be wasted. The head was clean at that time...

no problem....you can remove the cylinder without remove the cylinder head..... Smile

sly42 a écrit:

crm29
Admin
Admin

Message  Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé